Robert Macpherson Chandler has lived and worked in the Barcaldine area and in the wider Central West of Queensland all his life. Married to Deb Chandler, she and Rob have 3 children. Phoebe, Emily and Mac.
Rob has experience through his life in primary production owning and running an 80,000-acre sheep and cattle enterprise. He has vast experience in public administration through 20 years in Local Government and has been a very successful small business owner and operator through his various motel and tourism related ventures.
Rob has seen the ups and downs of rural industries. After leaving school in 1971 Rob went shearing during the downturn in rural areas, had a timber cutting business and harvested kangaroos to keep the farm afloat.
Robs elected positions / Local Government held positions.
- Shire councillor. Barcaldine Shire Council - 2000 to 2004,
- Mayor Barcaldine Shire Council - 2004 to 2020,
Robs employment and or business interests and board experience
- Past board member of The Outback Queensland Tourism Authority for 16 years,
- Past board member of Fitzroy Central West Regional Development Australia,
- Past Chair of the Remote Area Planning and Development Board, an ASIC listed entity, and the regions regional organisation of councils and regional development agency,
- Past chair of RAPAD Employment Services Queensland,
- Board member of Rural Financial Counselling Service North Qld and formally RFCSQ-CSR, for approximately 12yrs,
- Past board member of Red Ridge, a philanthropic arts company,
- 1971 to 1982: Shearer, timber cutter,
- 1983 to 2000: Owner manager. North Delta pastoral,
- 1997 to 2012: Owner manager, Ironbark Inn Motel,
Related short courses
- Statutory training required to Chair the Local Disaster Management Group and member of the District Group,
- Negotiation skills training through Clayton Utz training.
- Governance training through Langdale Consulting