Townsville & Charters towers
John Playford was raised and educated in North West Qld. After completing his College studies in Charters Towers, John commenced work with the Commonwealth Bank in Hughenden in 1976 and has worked in many regional centres in Qld with the CBA and other Banks for over 40 years.
Over the last 25 years, John worked mainly in senior Business Banking positions which involved both commercial and agribusiness roles and was exposed to clients who operated beef cattle, sheep, cane farming and broad acre farming businesses plus a range of commercial enterprises.
John holds a Bachelor of Business with majors in Banking & Finance and Accounting and he has developed extensive skills in negotiating, problem solving and business and financial analysis.
Whilst John has only been working in his current role as a Farm & Small Business Recovery Counsellor for a short period, he is enjoying the role and is looking forward to providing support to rural producers and small business owners directly affected by STC Debbie in the Whitsunday, Isaac and Mackay Regional Council areas.
Servicing primary producers in the Townsville and Charters Towers Council areas.
For primary producers, John can:
- Provide financial analysis to determine the financial position of eligible rural enterprises,
- Refer farm families to a network of professional service providers for advice with matters such as legal, accounting and planning and investment strategies, social and welfare problems, and to his colleagues in Rural Financial Counselling Service North Queensland for Farm Business Debt Mediation matters and ongoing future support,
- Develop, assess and report on strategies and plans for business recovery,
- Assist producers to seek professional advice to develop longer term strategies and plans to improve preparedness and resilience to climate variability,
- Provide information on rural credit matters,
- Assist producers to negotiate arrangements with their financial institutions,
- Provide information on the available assistance measures provided under Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements and other Federal and State programs.